For Sale, Porsche 928 S4 Auto, Guards Red, 1990
I’m selling my lovely 1990 Porsche 928 S4 auto which I acquired from another enthusiast just over 8 years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Am asking £25,000 ONO. Private sale.
Reason for the sale is my wife is hellbent on converting the garage under the house into two bedrooms and my pride and joy is hindering progress, I’ve fobbed her off selling it for the past few years but have basically run out of excuses, and because I’m doing negligible miles in it nowadays I really can’t justify keeping it any longer - either it goes or the wife goes, and much as I am tempted with the later option think it might cost me more in the long run!
I ought to mention it took me quite some time to find this particular example in this condition and I looked at plenty in my travels across the UK and this was the best one I could find. It doesn’t vibrate at tick-over and the auto gear-changes are very smooth.
- Porsche 928 S4 auto
- Guards red with light cream linen leather
- 1990 (G reg) currently on private plate
- 99,196 miles (last serviced at 99117 miles in Aug 2019)
- 2 keys
- Original service book and user manuals
- MOT till June 2022
- V8 4997cc engine provides plenty of low down torque for relaxed driving, along with some decent horsepower for when you’re impatient, just be wary of booting it hard in the wet because there are no computers to bail you out, this is old-school technology
- 4 speed auto which is actually well matched to the car and shifts very smoothly indeed
- Cruise control which is good for driving on the motorway or sticking to speed limits
- Electric sunroof, windows & seats which all work
- 17” cup alloys
- Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on front and back
- Original Blaupunkt Freestyler CD/FM radio with satellite navigation (never used it mind!)
- Digital dashboard which is great for sticking to the speed limit, together with fuel consumption readout and range to walking home
- Thatcham Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser fitted
The guards red paintwork is in good condition for the year, and as far as I’m aware everything works including the central locking, sunroof, windows, tailgate release, and even the aircon works in a fashion, though of course it’s best to have the windows down so you can listen to the exhaust rumble at low speeds because very little beats a large capacity V8 for that gorgeous noise.
The light cream ruffled leather lightens up the interior of the car and apart from a few blemishes is very nice indeed. I have looked after the seats quite a bit so they’re not all dried out like many examples.
When I first purchased the car I took it down to Paul Anderson in Stroud who serviced and sorted out a few issues for me, though have for the past few years had it serviced by Zentrum the independent Porsche specialists based near Nottingham who have considerable knowledge in the 911 and 928 range, and they do know about many of the quirks of the 928 including adjusting the flex plate tension which is very important indeed, they are also very reasonably priced and offer excellent service which cannot be said for others.
Aside from the servicing I have changed the following major parts:
- New Radtec aluminium radiator fitted in May 2021.
- Bosch silver S5 battery type 096 fitted in July 2019 and a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger is used to charge and maintain the battery.
The 928 is stored in a dry heated garage underneath the house and is started regularly to help keep everything in order. These 928s don’t like sitting alone for long.
Road tax is a very reasonable £24.50 per month, classic car insurance is also surprisingly affordable at £167.75 per year with an agreed value of £25K. Fuel consumption is approx 21mpg but that depends upon your mood. I don’t drive it in the wet if I can avoid it and to be honest most miles have been clocked going to the Thoresby Classic Car show and the local classic car meets in Nottingham, I have a couple of other cars to drive in the daytime so keep this one for special occasions.
I’ve been a 928 enthusiast since I was a kid and my neighbour bought one back in the late 1970s, also watching Risky Business didn’t help and led to me sticking the poster on the wall, notable incidents include chasing one along the A614 on my bike in the late 1980s and deciding to stay behind it because the exhaust note was intoxicating, before acquiring my first 928 S4 from Sytner BMW on Huntingdon Street in Nottingham in 1993.
The 928 is an extremely well balanced and well built car, it can be as tame as a pussy cat for when you have had a long day at work and just want to get home with minimal drama, yet can change in an instant into a right thug at the press of the pedal. It’s a lovely place to be and a testament to Porsche for designing what can be only described as a complete game changer in terms of car design in the 1970s that really has stood the test of time. I acquired this 928 as a 50th birthday present to myself, plus my wife had asked me to look out for an automatic car for her to drive so this one ticked all the boxes, have to say she wasn’t overly impressed with my choice of car for her to drive.
This really is a very well sorted and clean example, it’s kept me happy for the last eight years which is more than can be said for some of the cars that I’ve owned and I’m a bit of a perfectionist.
I’m based north of Nottingham and approx 15 mins from M1 Jun 27. Any questions please contact me on 07974 666193 or
Am advertising this for a very reasonable £25,000 or nearest offer.
Please note the private plate shown is not included in the price and will be transferred off shortly.